Difference Between Insulated and Uninsulated Garage Doors – Know Now!
All that stands between your precious car or truck and the harsh weather conditions is a garage door.
The thing with these doors is that we tend to neglect them and their importance until we start seeing problems. But, thanks to technology and awareness, most users are making an informed decision right from day 1. Now, if you are on the lookout for good garage doors, you will have a Difference to make a decision – insulated or uninsulated? Which one is the best? Just by looking at the names, we may think that uninsulated ones are more affordable, and you don’t need insulation anyway. So, why not just buy those? Of course, but the truth will actually surprise you because there are many other factors to consider as well. That’s why we decided to speak about each of these options individually.
Insulated Vs Uninsulated Garage Doors
Insulated garage doors come with two protective layers of steel within two outer layers. The steel layers are mainly responsible for the insulation. This makes them thick and durable. Here are a few of their features:
- They are energy efficient because they do not allow air (cool or hot) to pass through. So, heating and cooling costs go down significantly, especially if your home and the garage are connected.
- They are very strong and durable. You won’t really have to worry about dents with insulated garage doors unless the collision is massive.
- They are aesthetic. The garage door should look good too! And, if you get an insulated one, you won’t have to worry about this. Their sturdiness adds more class, as well.
- They are quite expensive.
As the name suggests, uninsulated garage doors do not provide insulation. They only have a single layer of steel and are quite thin. A few points that you must remember are as follows:
- They do not help you with electricity bills. In fact, in areas that experience harsh temperatures, the bills may actually go up due to the lack of protection.
- They are not really aesthetic. They are just regular garage doors with nothing much to attract the eye.
- They are durable, but when you compare them to insulated garage doors, you will notice a huge difference in durability. So, comparatively, they are weaker.
- They are easily affordable. Uninsulated garage doors are a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the insulated ones.
Which is better? Insulated or Uninsulated Garage Door
Now for the battle! At first glance, you will think that uninsulated doors may not be the right choice. It depends on the type of garage and climatic conditions, though. For example, if your city/town does not experience extreme temperatures, you don’t really need insulation. Also, if your garage is away from the house, there’s no need to worry about spending extra bucks for insulated doors.
However, in very cold and very hot climates, you must get insulated garage doors regardless of the construction of your garage. We agree that it is more expensive, but it will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Buying a garage door seems like an easy decision that doesn’t need much thought, but that’s not the case at all. You must be very careful where you put your money because it is a one-time purchase that can determine the length of your electricity bills for a long time. Be wise and make the right choice. All the best!
Have anything else to add to this? We are always happy to hear from you. Please feel free to add any difference!